Re: Field Day

John Lonigro

If Field Day really weren't a contest, there's no reason to exclude the WARC bands.  During a real emergency operation in the field, the WARC bands would certainly be allowed.  The contest aspect of Field Day is what motivates a lot of clubs to participate, but the emergency preparedness aspect is the reason Field Day even exists. I wonder how many clubs would bother with Field Day if there were no scoring at all.

A person who knows CW might consider using SSB at 5 Watts a lot more difficult to make a contact than when using CW.  It all depends on skill level and perspective.  In that regard, I guess no contest is perfect, the only exception being the Second Sunday Sprint (hi).

My only gripe with some digital modes is they seem to be almost useless as far as communicating critical information is concerned. During Field Day, call sign, class, and section name might be important, but during an emergency, more information than that is required to make the mode useful.  If the purpose of Field Day is to practice skills required to set up an emergency station "in the field", then maybe digital modes that aren't practical during an emergency shouldn't be allowed during this particular contest.  In the aftermath of a hurricane, no ham in the affected area is going to think this is a good time to try to work all states.

72,
John, AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator