Re: Field Day

Paul AI4EE

If you want to QSO on digital, try JS8Call.  If you just want quick
contacts and signal reports, stick with FT8.

On 6/24/2019 9:50 AM, John Lonigro wrote:
If Field Day really weren't a contest, there's no reason to exclude
the WARC bands.  During a real emergency operation in the field, the
WARC bands would certainly be allowed.  The contest aspect of Field
Day is what motivates a lot of clubs to participate, but the emergency
preparedness aspect is the reason Field Day even exists. I wonder how
many clubs would bother with Field Day if there were no scoring at all.

A person who knows CW might consider using SSB at 5 Watts a lot more
difficult to make a contact than when using CW.  It all depends on
skill level and perspective.  In that regard, I guess no contest is
perfect, the only exception being the Second Sunday Sprint (hi).

My only gripe with some digital modes is they seem to be almost
useless as far as communicating critical information is concerned.
During Field Day, call sign, class, and section name might be
important, but during an emergency, more information than that is
required to make the mode useful.  If the purpose of Field Day is to
practice skills required to set up an emergency station "in the
field", then maybe digital modes that aren't practical during an
emergency shouldn't be allowed during this particular contest.  In the
aftermath of a hurricane, no ham in the affected area is going to
think this is a good time to try to work all states.

72,
John, AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator