Re: Field Day

Don, W9EBK

Chuck,
I have long thought ARRL Field Day rules need a makeover.  The last time I spoke with anyone at the League about it, they weren't interested in new ideas.

When digital was RTTY and PSK-31 it seemed reasonable to equate its value to CW. CW takes more operator skill,  but Digital is more valuable to Emergency Management as it allows more possible routes for the message and less chance of spelling errors.  So from an emergency perspective I can see parody in them.  While the Free Text line in FT-8 can convey a real Field Day exchange,  I think few operators would use it for such a purpose, and it would take awhile to do it. RTTY and PSK-31 may still be King for Field Day type exchanges.

The other thing I think is way overdue for updating is the Battery class.  Apparently the ARRL thinks it's only possible to run 5 watts from a battery and solar panel.  Our Club has been running 100 watt transmitters on battery power for the last 20 years,  but can't claim it because the rules restrict Battery to 5 watts or less. This is not to be confused with the Power Multiplier for QRP, 150 watts, or 1.5 KW.
Any thoughts about other things that should be suggested to the League.  (Keep it nice )
Don, W9EBK

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 10:06 PM chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...> wrote:
Out of 52 Qs I had 6 1E contacts.  I was doing 1B with a 5W S/N 001 from a park
5 blocks from the lab.  Started on 20m at local sunset when the band opened up.
Repeat on Sunday a.m.

I got 22 states and N7WY couldn't hear me this a.m.  No DX worked, but heard.

But, I might bring up the following question and squash me if I am wrong.
Do you believe that a digital operator should be given the same per QSO
points as a CW operator?    Should not the CW op be given some credit for
the time and energy in on learning a skill that is not done without a (*&*)(*
computer?  I put this in the same category as 'dumbing down' the skill
level of the ham population.  Go  for the bucks.

For your consideration from a grumpy old guy.

chuck, k7qo

On 6/23/19 5:28 PM, Paul Goemans wrote:
Yes,
  I noticed the same. It’s getting easier with the available power gates and better batteries/ quieter generators these days!

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI