Re: Electronic visual aids for working with SMD (i.e. microscopes)

J.K. Wright

The problem with low end $ usb microscopes is depth of field focusing. It is very narrow. Also depending on lenses, the lens tip may be very close to the work surface.
Magnified head gear may well be better, but if you want something else look at 3x-10x stereo scopes on a stand. They are comparatively pricey, but show up on craigslist and hamfests every so often.
Jerry, NK2C

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019, 6:12 PM jleahy00 via Groups.Io <jleahy00=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

And found it to be outstanding for $10.95.  This unit has a built in light that is adjustable so you don’t miss anything.  I have used it to assemble the Cricket 30, 40 and currently working on the audio filter.  I can’t believe the difference, now I need something to steady my hands !

None of my work has been SMD but this should work for you.

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Jun 29, 2019, at 18:46, wa2cky <bob.groh@...> wrote:

With a constant shift to building with SMD components (and with my 'aging' eyes), I have been looking at getting one of those USB electronic microscopes for working on SMD boards. Anyone else done any work on this topic and have any recommendations, thoughts, etc to pass on?

Bob Groh, WA2CKY