Re: Any QRP Voice Nets?

Jeff Collins

Dear Dan,

    Thanks for the reply.  I got a couple of stations last year from 13 Colonies. This year I am busy getting my house ready to sell. But I will be caught up by the end of July and will more time to get on the air. I have only been a Ham about 2 years and really on air a little over a year.

        For my 100 watt base station I have a Kenwood TS-520S station (first HF rig) and ICOM 706 MKIIG (will go in my truck once I work out antenna issues) and an ICOM 718 (which will become my field day rig). All of these use a 37 foot End Fed Antenna at 30 feet to the East in a tree and 15 foot to the West on a pole hooked up to a little MFJ tuner.

    I was at the 4 State QRP Conference this year and came away with a better appreciation for QRP work. Really wish CW would stick in my brain. I picked up a nice FT-817ND for a very good price to play with, so I am building a backpack QRP rig to work with. Going to try some Parks On The Air and Peaks On The Air things later in the year. I have also signed up for the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt in August.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

On 7/3/2019 9:31 AM, Dan Reynolds wrote:

I've never found anything. Seems mostly QRP & SSB are not good partners. But I've had a lot of fun with it. When things were better I would prowl around contests and pick up some DX. Seems everybody has better ears in a contest. LOL! I think, too it's hard to depend on propagation to schedule a regular net.
This week is one of my favorite events - 13 Colonies. You should give it a try. They often will ask for QRP stations. http://www.13colonies.net/
Hang in there. You can still QRP & SSB and have fun. I've actually gotten (3) 1000 miles per watt QRP-ARCI awards (the ones I turned in). And that was with my old radio a FT-817 and wire antennas.
One more thing, and I will state up front that this is me, I don't advertise that I'm QRP unless someone specifically asks or like in the 13 colonies event they want QRP stations to answer. At least for US amateurs-- they get awfully deaf once you tell them you're QRP. Some are even insulting. Personally I view it as fishing with light tackle. I like the challenge and I like to think I'm accomplishing something.
Have fun.
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO