Re: Any QRP Voice Nets?

N5VMO Pat

Copied from the 13 Colonies on the Ar 2019 website below information on the event.

EXCHANGE

The exchange for this event is:
CALL SIGN
RS / RST / RSQ
STATE / PROVINCE or COUNTRY

Bands & Modes

All HF bands will be in play, including the WARC bands, with the exception of 60 meters. Simplex on 2 meters and 6 meters is encouraged.

The SE stations are on the east coast and, are very close to each other. It will be harder for these states to contact each other so, use of 40m-160m is encouraged.

All modes of operation may be represented - SSB, CW, RTTY, Digital, Etc. - The mode of operation is up to the individual colony state station. Please refer to the State information pages for details.

The 13 Colonies Special Event is a not for profit event. All donations are used to fund the next years event, and to defray any expenses occurred. All donations are used for operating costs, supplies, equipment, and 13 Colony Group initiatives. Donation is voluntary. If you have difficulty with a donation, tell us on your log sheet, and we will send you the certificate earned-No Questions Asked!.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:
Any frequencies for 13 Colonies? Now that siding crew is finishing my "bungalow" will be on the air more often. N1KWW

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:24 AM Jeff Collins <w7grv@...> wrote:

Dear Dan,

    Thanks for the reply.  I got a couple of stations last year from 13 Colonies. This year I am busy getting my house ready to sell. But I will be caught up by the end of July and will more time to get on the air. I have only been a Ham about 2 years and really on air a little over a year.

        For my 100 watt base station I have a Kenwood TS-520S station (first HF rig) and ICOM 706 MKIIG (will go in my truck once I work out antenna issues) and an ICOM 718 (which will become my field day rig). All of these use a 37 foot End Fed Antenna at 30 feet to the East in a tree and 15 foot to the West on a pole hooked up to a little MFJ tuner.

    I was at the 4 State QRP Conference this year and came away with a better appreciation for QRP work. Really wish CW would stick in my brain. I picked up a nice FT-817ND for a very good price to play with, so I am building a backpack QRP rig to work with. Going to try some Parks On The Air and Peaks On The Air things later in the year. I have also signed up for the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt in August.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

On 7/3/2019 9:31 AM, Dan Reynolds wrote:
I've never found anything. Seems mostly QRP & SSB are not good partners. But I've had a lot of fun with it. When things were better I would prowl around contests and pick up some DX. Seems everybody has better ears in a contest. LOL! I think, too it's hard to depend on propagation to schedule a regular net.
This week is one of my favorite events - 13 Colonies. You should give it a try. They often will ask for QRP stations. http://www.13colonies.net/
Hang in there. You can still QRP & SSB and have fun. I've actually gotten (3) 1000 miles per watt QRP-ARCI awards (the ones I turned in). And that was with my old radio a FT-817 and wire antennas.
One more thing, and I will state up front that this is me, I don't advertise that I'm QRP unless someone specifically asks or like in the 13 colonies event they want QRP stations to answer. At least for US amateurs-- they get awfully deaf once you tell them you're QRP. Some are even insulting. Personally I view it as fishing with light tackle. I like the challenge and I like to think I'm accomplishing something.
Have fun.
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO

--