Re: The Lightbulb QSO Party

Nick WA5BDU

I always figured that with the light bulb thing, most of the radiation would be from the coax. But maybe not.

There was an article in QST years ago (July 2000) called "Everything Works" where a guy made QSOs using a light bulb for a load. It was a much better period for propagation though.  I found it on line here:

At OzarkCon this year I used a 50 ohm resistor inserted into a small loop of wire for the in-hotel QSO party. I was amazed to work a station in an adjacent state on that arrangement.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:
Try to use a bulb that will be near 50 ohms resistance under load.

On Aug 13, 2019, at 12:18 AM, "Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If one uses a 100w bulb instead of a 6w bulb will the resulting signal be significantly stronger? 😉🙈

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
On Aug 9, 2019, at 19:20, Paul Smith < n0nbd@...> wrote:
Sounds good to me. I have used a 6 watt exit light bulb and socket as a dummy load and it worked fine. I used it once with a home brewed tuner and tuned for full brilliance hi hi de Paul

Sent from Outlook