Yes, I was a very close friend of Bud and Emily, his wife.  Emily is now in her upper 90s and we keep in touch.  Both Bud and Emily were like big brother and sister to me as I was growing up.  They were at my wedding and we always went to the Fon du Lac banquet together.  I remember a lot of stories about Bud, W9HIF who was also W9EZZ known as Lowell.  (Bud and Lowell never talked to one another!)  Bye the way, Bud's son in law practiced law in Green Bay and was/is a ham.  Bud and Joe Collins, W9PYM were like oil and water.  They loved to JAMB  one another.  (AM vs SSB War, back in the 50s.)  Bud's closest friend was Earl Jenkins, W9LUQ and engineer at KFIZ in Fon du Lac.  Once in awhile a bunch of Wisconsin hams would get together for a JAM session.  Bud played drums.  I remember Earl got plastered at one of these jam sessions.  I found him in a corner on the floor with a wind up phonograph player on his lap.  He was playing a 78 and crying.  The song was, "How Could Red Ridding Hood".  The words were: How could Red Riding Hood be so very good with that wolf knocking at her door?  Please don't ask it, who filled her basket, the story will never tell!"  The other side was:  "Hello Bluebird".  Earl cried as he played the record over and over as he kept the player wound.   Bud had a 32 inch Muntz TV operating facing the rear of his station wagon.  In the Summer he used to tote a toboggan on the top of his station wagon.  At the Fon du Lac banquet, he would place his QSL card in the men's urinals and then proceed all night to inquire who placed his QSL in the urinals!  When I was in my early years of collage, I used to date a girl from Stougton.  (That is another story.  A blue eyed blond Norwegian bomb shell.  Her name was Carol Auby.  Her older brother worked at Ray O Vac.)  Bud and I used to go to a low class bar in downtown Milwaukee once in awhile.  One dollar would buy you a shot of whisky, a glass of beer, and a ham hock.  Yes, I remember Bud!  Back then most hams were mobile on 3950 khz AM.  That was the Wisconsin ham watering hole frequency.

Lee

w0vt, ex W9DRC

On 9/17/2019 10:55 AM, Paul Goemans wrote:
Leland,
  I was going to email you and ask if you knew of the legendary original W9HIF. I looked you up on QRZ, and there it was! Not sure if I ever had a QSO with Bud, but sure knew of him! Grew up in Green Bay, WI!

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

From: Leland Lannoye via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:53 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Hilltoppers

Your Honor, I second the request.
Leland J. Lannoye, W9HIF, home of the scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of ham radio long, long ago.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:52, Leland L. Bahr
If 4SQRP is considering another small run of the Hilltopper,  I'd
suggest you make it also available in a 30 meter version.  I certainly
would order one.  That way you could do a larger batch of Hilltoppers.
(Half 20/40 meters for stragglers and 30 meters for those wanting more
of the Benson design and already Hilltopper owners.)  This is too nice a
transceiver to go away.  It's Dave Benson's best kit.

Lee, w0vt