Re: Hilltoppers

n4mj

Well now, that was a good AR story.  Can imagine your nerves were a wreck when the guy introduced himself then checked your equipment and took your logs.

Been hamming since 61 and knock on wood (head) no problems with FCC, although one time I did get chosen to act on their behalf - verifying equipment for a CB'er of all things.  Long story so won't go into it.   Short version - neighbors claimed his signals were turning the leaves brown on the trees in their yard...this was in Las Vegas, NV.  If you are familiar with Las Vegas you know trees have issues in that dry heat. HI HI

Thanks for the story.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 12:28:58 PM CDT, Leland L. Bahr <w5drc@...> wrote:

Here is part TWO of the old 3950 AM/SSB days in Wisconsin:

I got my Novice license WN9DRC back in the Fall of 1953.  By Spring 1954
I was a General as W9DRC and 15 years old.  As I said earlier, Bud,
W9HIF and Joe, W9PYM were like oil and water.  Bud teased Joe, but Joe
was serious.  I came home from school one day and was now a ham for
around 6 months.  My mother was waiting for me at the door.  She said,
Lee, there is a FCC Inspector in our living room and he would like to
speak to you.  I went to the living room and this very tall man was
sitting in a chair with his coat draped over the sofa.  (I'm sure my
mother was wondering what kind of trouble I was in when the Federal
government was calling on a 15 year old boy.)  (I think his name was Mr.
Johnson.)  He introduced himself and asked to see my station which was
in our basement.  He looked my equipment over, a Hallicrafters S-38C and
a Globe Scout 40A.  Then he asked to see ALL my logs.  (Back then you
had to log in each time you threw the BIG Switch.  That was true even if
you were mobile.)  All I could think was, was there ever a time I threw
the SWITCH without logging it in???  Then he told me he was confiscating
my logs and gave me a receipt for them.  He said nothing further as to
why he took them.  (I didn't sleep well that night.)  Later on I figured
out why he took them. The FCC took Joe Collins, W9PYM,  to court for
jamming other stations, especially SSB operators with his 813 AM
transmitter modulated by a pair of 810 tubes.  The FCC figured a young
15 year old ham would most likely keep a good log and I lived a couple
miles away from Joe and probably talked to him a lot.  As it turned out
my log had Joe in it when he did not have me logged into his log.  Joe
was not allowed to operate for one year after that trial.  They used the
log books to silence Joe for a year. All this happened during the first
six months of being a ham radio operator.

Lee, w0vt

ex, w9drc