Re: Recommendation for a Butane Soldering Iron?

Tom KA3GGI

My wife bought a butane torch to use in baking from Bed Bath and Beyond its real small, but works nice and uses a can to refuel.  Tom  KA3GGI

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 03:50:45 PM EST, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

Another alternative might be buying a cheap (aka Harbor Freight) generator and then powering an electric soldering iron/gun with it.  A temperature controlled iron might be finicky about the quality of the sinewave being produced by the generator, but regular low tech irons/guns are just heating elements and wouldn't care (if soldering irons could care).  If a butane iron is suitable, I doubt a temperature controlled iron would be needed.  And the generator might be able to power a lightbulb if soldering in a place with no electricity.  Something that puts out a couple hundred Watts should be sufficient.

John, AA0VE

On 11/11/19 2:30 PM, Thomas Martin wrote:
Don’t know if anyone has seen the new Ryobi battery operated soldering irons they came out with uses the 18 volt one plus batteries used on other tools.
They have two models one is an adjustable and one fixed temp. I ordered the adjustable one but have not had time to use it yet.
I used to do field engineering work and understand the need for tools to be used in remote and unusual places. Ryobi also makes a 12 volt charger so batteries can be charged in the vehicle.
This might be a good alternative to the butane route.

Tom
K0amd

On Monday, November 11, 2019, Dwayne R via Groups.Io <masterdr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I agree, I have a Radio Shack Butane soldering Iron. . Had it for decades. . .
Best thing I have ever owned. . .. I lost it (loaned it out), and haven't
found a good replacement yet for it. ..

I do have a Weller Butane. . . I would rate my old Radio Shack a 10,
the Weller about a 6. Let's put it this way. . . I have ran an extension
cord a few times rather than using my Weller butane.

Dwayne Ka0aam

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 9:00:29 AM CST, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Gm Mike
I used to buy the butane soldering pencil from Radio shack.
Worked well outside except extremely windy, cold days.
It may still be sold under the presto brand?
We soldered pl 259’s with it!

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM Mike Stewart <mike.n0tu@...> wrote:

Greetings to the list. Happy Veterans Day, too.

I’m looking for recommendations for a butane soldering iron, something suitable for professional use in really rough conditions.

Anyone have one or two recommendations for a top-grade, durable, portable butane soldering iron? Price isn’t the most important consideration.

True, electric temp-controlled irons are preferable for most construction. The places this iron will be used don’t have electricity.

Many of the 4SQRP group are serious builders or professionals in the electronics industry. Sure would appreciate your insights. So would the intended recipient.

Thank you for the benefit of your experience and wisdom.

72,

Mike Stewart

N0TU

P.S. I have tried Google as my friend…and have little faith in the search results.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com