Re: Recommendation for a Butane Soldering Iron?

John - KK4ITX

RS is still in business, not sure if this is the same “iron” or not, they are out of stock online but you can check your closest Hobby Town for one. If there isn’t one near you perhaps a caring QRPer would keep an eye out for you ?

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/soldering-tools/products/mini-butane-gas-powered-soldering-iron?variant=20331814533

Good luck,

John

KK4ITX

Reaching for my MIC I banged my head ..... now I see double you.

On Nov 11, 2019, at 15:13, Dwayne R via Groups.Io <masterdr@...> wrote:

I agree, I have a Radio Shack Butane soldering Iron. . Had it for decades. . .
Best thing I have ever owned. . .. I lost it (loaned it out), and haven't
found a good replacement yet for it. ..

I do have a Weller Butane. . . I would rate my old Radio Shack a 10,
the Weller about a 6. Let's put it this way. . . I have ran an extension
cord a few times rather than using my Weller butane.

Dwayne Ka0aam

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 9:00:29 AM CST, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Gm Mike
I used to buy the butane soldering pencil from Radio shack.
Worked well outside except extremely windy, cold days.
It may still be sold under the presto brand?
We soldered pl 259’s with it!

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM Mike Stewart <mike.n0tu@...> wrote:

Greetings to the list. Happy Veterans Day, too.

I’m looking for recommendations for a butane soldering iron, something suitable for professional use in really rough conditions.

Anyone have one or two recommendations for a top-grade, durable, portable butane soldering iron? Price isn’t the most important consideration.

True, electric temp-controlled irons are preferable for most construction. The places this iron will be used don’t have electricity.

Many of the 4SQRP group are serious builders or professionals in the electronics industry. Sure would appreciate your insights. So would the intended recipient.

Thank you for the benefit of your experience and wisdom.

72,

Mike Stewart

N0TU

P.S. I have tried Google as my friend…and have little faith in the search results.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com