Re: My experience with the Nouveau 75

Leland Lannoye

My bench?? equipment is largely under construction after almost 30 years of limited building and construction. Once Dave found a flaw on the little daughter board which he admitted I would likely have never found (although a new board would have accomplished the same thing), the rig has performed flawlessly for me.?? It will be part of an ARES earthquake drill Tuesday night.?? I am now on my fourth and fifth kits.?? I intend to continue.?? Hi Fi on a ham communication circuit? Gimme a break! And, I don't mean of a Kit Kat bar either!

4SQRP has done it again so far as I am concerned.

Leland J. Lannoye, W9HIF

On 11/14/2019 18:06, w9ran wrote:
On 11/13/2019 4:44 PM, ohwenzelph via Groups.Io wrote:
Is it good enough the the AM regulars aren???t going to have a hissyfit about less than superlative hi if audio???

Hi Jerry,

That's not something I worry much about ;-)?? Whenever I check in with a 5 or 10 watt AM rig they are usually so surprised they don't make any remarks about audio quality.???? The electret mic has a wide response and there's some filtering in the audio preamp, so to get a sense of what it looks like I played some 8 kHz white noise into the mic while looking at the output spectrum:

With 20 kHz span each horizontal division represents 2 kHz so you can see the Nouveau 75 passband is filled to 4 kHz - I suspect the roll-off on the low end is due to limitations in my test method.?? But this shows good audio response in the 2 kHz range that Bob Heil emphasizes is most important for intelligibility.

73, Bob W9RAN

--
Lee, W9HIF
The station of the Scary Ghost Stories and Tales of the Glories of Ham Radio long, long ago.