Re: Recommendations for electronics books

Nick Kennedy <kennnick@...>

It's a tough request because there are so many books and what any individual is ready and wanting to learn on a given day varies so much. I'd second EMRFD as a good one. The Art of Electronics comes to mind as well.

It's hard (but not impossible) to learn highly technical stuff just by reading. Building simple circuits, checking their performance and reading about them in a book all work together. I guess you can't build everything you read about but maybe have a pencil and paper and calculator handy and run through some of the calcs and equations you are given. Copy down the circuit just to reinforce it in your mind.

Some of the best (if most frustrating) learning comes when you build something and it doesn't work, or shows performance that's hard to explain. Troubleshooting, researching and asking for advice on the web are all good learning tools.

Speaking of the web, there are lectures on YouTube that can be useful. Some by hobbyists and some professional, like Analog Devices' ("AD") tutorials - Filtering 101 as an example.

Lots of good stuff in magazines like our QRP quarterlies. And QST had a tutorial series by Ward Silver that ran quite a while. Hands On Radio, maybe?

I find good stuff in email discussion groups ("reflectors") and sometimes copy and save good stuff by big names like Hayward, Reg Edwards, Win Hill, Lewallen and others not so well known but very sharp anyway.

While there's no substitute for solder and reality, I find modeling circuits in LTspice (or the spice of your choice) to be useful and educational. Of course, that spice program will have a learning curve all its own. Take your time.

When your project uses integrated circuits, downloading and looking over the data sheet can be very useful. I usually gather all the data sheets applicable to a project. In PDF form of course. But let me admit that they can be very complex and confusing. Still, there's often valuable information in there somewhere.

On the down side, there's a ton of misinformation and questionable opinions out there. Plus explanations that drone on endlessly about the simplest point while glossing over highly complex ones in a few words. Whew, how do we ever learn anything?

But we do because it's fun I guess. So enjoy.

72,

Nick, WA5BDU

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:19 AM Scott WZØW <scott@...> wrote:
Thanks all, for the great recommendations!

Scott WZ0W