Re: Recommendations for electronics books

Gwen Patton

There's a lot of good books on electronics, many of which focus on RF circuits, but here's the list from my own library:

  • The Art of Electronics, by Paul Horowitz. This one is very pricy, but very complete. I have both the paper and ebook versions.  https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz-ebook/dp/B01BYJO2JU/
  • Practical Electronics for Inventors (various editions) by Paul Scherz. I like this very much. Very readable, but also complete. I have both the Third and Fourth editions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5LXUYI/
  • Electronics: A Top-Down Approach to Computer-Aided Circuit Design by Allan R. Hambley. This was a hardcover I purchased because it had more of the engineering of designing circuits with computerized tools. Might not be precisely what your looking for, but inexpensive enough to be worth a look anyway. It has some good sections on circuit simulators, like PSpice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0023493356/
  • Complete Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects, by Earl Boysen. This is a decent hands-on book for basic electronic information. Like with most works, there's a heavy emphasis on the formulae that underpin electronics, like Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws. A decent book with some useful projects to help cement the info in your mind. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008K9AH6A/
  • Electronics from the Ground Up: Learn by Hacking, Designing, and Inventing by Ronald Quan. This is one of those books where the paperback edition is cheaper than the Kindle edition. I'm not entirely sure why. I got this one because of the dreadful pun in the title, but it's actually a fairly good book. The author is an RF engineer, so there may be more of what you're looking for in this, but the learning curve does steepen as you go further into it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2A7H9G/
This is by no means an exhaustive list of books that you might want to look at. It's some of the ones I have in my personal library, notably the most basic and fundamental texts on the theory of electronics. How-to guides are fine for what they are, but you at some time need to learn WHY these things do what they do, and the math is an unavoidable part of the why. Why does a circuit have two resistors, with a line going off from where they connect to one another? Because it's a voltage divider. Learn the formula, and why you'd use one. How do you know how the value of an unknown resistor or capacitor that the markings have rubbed off of? Kirchhoff's Laws can help you figure it out. I'm not extremely far into these books myself, as I have limited "spoons" for wading through them, and a memory so bad it might better be termed a forgettery, but some of these books are considered classics in the field regardless of my opinion.

You might find one or more of them at a local library if you want to look at them first.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 12:54 PM w0rw <w0rw1@...> wrote:
Check out the W0RW Lending Library at:
Go to: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/W0RW
W0RW Lending Library. This is a Free Lending Library. If you have never ordered books before then you have to send me an email so I can approve your name and address, (Send email to w0rw1@...).

  where you can see all the books in the Library
   If you have never requested books before then you have to send me an email so I can approve your name and address, (Send email to  w0rw1@...).
   After you get approved you can double click on a book from the scrolling banner or add a key word in the search block to find one (like Spy or ARRL).
That's it. I will pack it up and mail it to you.

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time