Re: Cricket 40 No Receive Audio

John - KK4ITX

Michael,

Welcome to the wonderful world of CW, I am not too far ahead of you CW wise but it truly is fun learning.

On your Cricket.  Have you checked your headphones for correct plug and to be sure they work ?

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Jan 24, 2020, at 13:05, K5KAB <mberry1172@...> wrote:

Good afternoon:

I'm hoping someone may have experience with this issue so I'll put it out here for review.   I recently received and built the Cricket 40 kit.   When I first built the kit, it was discovered (only after testing) that I was missing the SS8550 for Q7 and instead had a 2N7000 in that location.    The result of this was that when turned on it sounded as if the keyer was constantly pressed.   After receiving a replacement I changed Q7 to the SS8550 and now it will key correctly.   Now my issue is that I have no receive audio whatsoever.   After digging through some forums I found one instance where it was mentioned to check for flux contamination so just to be sure I did make sure I cleaned the board thoroughly, although my soldering was kept as neat and clean as possible.   I found also a note about checking the center leg of Q4 to see if voltage here was above 6 volts.   In my case it was around 4.   The recommendation was to place a 1 M ohm resistor across D1.     I have done this and now the voltage on Q4 center leg is about 8.5 volts but I still have no receive audio.    when I press the keyer,  I do hear the sidetone and having a receiver nearby I do seem to receive.    It seems something is causing the receive side to be muted but I'm stumped at this point.    Has anyone experienced similar or does someone perhaps have a suggestion to check further?

I'm new to the 4 State QRP Forums so I apologize if I entered this in the wrong place.  I'm currently holding a technician license,  working to learn code as well as studying for the general test.   I wanted to build a small kit and play around with it a bit but it's turned into a troubleshooting project more than using a transceiver.   All part of the fun.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

73,

Michael Berry,  K5KAB