Re: Portable Battery Recommendations

John - KK4ITX

Larry, we enjoy the effort that's put in to benefit the QRP world by all of the organizers and it's all way too much fun even if contacts are minimal.

Thanks for what you do,

John
Skeeter 38 (2019)
KK4ITX

Larry Makoski <w2ljqrp@...>
To:main@4SQRP.groups.io
Jan 30 at 1:58 PM

I'm lovin' the logo that's in the top of that ammo box!

Just sayin'.

Larry W2LJ

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison

On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 01:58:29 PM EST, Larry Makoski <w2ljqrp@...> wrote:

I'm lovin' the logo that's in the top of that ammo box!

Just sayin'.

Larry W2LJ

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
In terms of battery technologies disregarding cost I'd rank them:
1. LiFePO4 (Bioenno, Dakota Lithium)
2. LiPo
3. NiCd
4. Sealed Lead Acid

You can use this calculator to estimate your battery needs:

"Depth of Discharge" is an important factor for run time. Use these values:

LiFePO4 - 90%
LiPo - 80%
NiCd - 75%
SLA - 50%

I have a 3Ah Bioenno LiFePO4 pack that I use with my KX2.

Tim N9PUZ

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Richard AG5M via Groups.Io <ag5m=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I loved the discussion about Portable Antennas, learned quite a few new ideas to try out.  Now for another.  To power my Ten-Tec Argo IV QRP rig (or a KX2 if I ever get one) out in the field, what kind of light weight battery would you all recommend that could power the rig, running 5 watts, for up to four hours CW and SSB.  I have a sealed Gel-Cell but it's kinda heavy.  Appreciate all your thoughts.  72, Richard AG5M.