Re: Portable Battery Recommendations

John

I use the Bioenno batteries from the 3a up to 12A. I love that they are 13.8V
John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a lifestyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 9:52 AM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
30 AH is way overkill for a QRP rig (the 706, which i have too, is NOT thrifty with power).   An efficient QRP rig will run 4 hours off a 7AH gel cell without any problem at all.

The other consideration with large lithium batteries is that they're potentially (!) a bomb. I'd be pretty careful about transporting and using them so as not to damage them and cause an explosion/fire. Then there's expense.

Thrifty current sipping radios make for small battery needs.  Things like digital displays, synthesized tuning, etc are power hogs without a lot of value in QRP field operations, compared to the significant value of being battery efficient.

John K5MO

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 9:42 AM Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:
Based on what I'm seeing here about battery life it's time for me to get some new batteries.  I have only done 2 portable operations in the past few years with my Hilltopper 20 and Black and Decker battery.  When I did more portable work a 7.5 amp hour gel cell would only run my IC-706 set to its lowest power setting for about 90 minutes of typical operating. My 20 amp hour gel cell would go about 4 hours.
Looks like it's time to go shopping for lithium batteries and maybe a more efficient radio.
Don, W9EBK

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 12:52 PM Jim <n0oct@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Don, W9EBK wrote:
You are going to need 30 to 40 amp hours to do what you want,  with no worries.
For an Argonaut IV or KX2, a 30Ah battery will last a couple of weeks!  For an afternoon's operating, see what other folks who are running QRP on this thread have mentioned.  I have an old Hawker Cyclon cell (4Ah) and a couple of newish SLA (4.5Ah), and in my busiest SOTA operating day I have never drained them enough for the power to cut back on my KX3, running 5-10W.