Re: Portable Battery Recommendations

Greg Troxel

"John" <johnk5mo@...> writes:

The other consideration with large lithium batteries is that they're
potentially (!) a bomb. I'd be pretty careful about transporting and using
them so as not to damage them and cause an explosion/fire. Then there's
expense.
Because of this, I avoid lithium ion batteries. When I do use them, I
only charge them while I am around, and I have careful to avoid
mechanical damage. I would not want to use polymer cells without full
mechanical protection. I have heard many horror stories about lithium
ion batteries and fires.

Lithium iron phosphase (LiFePO4) is a different chemistry and is far
safer. I have not heard about these being implicated in
fires/explosions.

I have two Bioenno LiFePO4 batteries, and they have behaved well. They
have an internal controller for balancing and overcharge/overdischarge
protection.

73 de n1dam