Re: Portable Battery Recommendations

John Lonigro

Don:

Not designed as a QRP radio, your IC-706 draws as much current on receive as many QRP radios do on transmit.  Another important factor is the display backlight.  Measure the current with the backlight turned on and then turned off and you will see that a lot of battery life is consumed lighting the display, not operating the radio.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 1/31/20 8:42 AM, Don, W9EBK wrote:
Based on what I'm seeing here about battery life it's time for me to get some new batteries.  I have only done 2 portable operations in the past few years with my Hilltopper 20 and Black and Decker battery.  When I did more portable work a 7.5 amp hour gel cell would only run my IC-706 set to its lowest power setting for about 90 minutes of typical operating. My 20 amp hour gel cell would go about 4 hours.
Looks like it's time to go shopping for lithium batteries and maybe a more efficient radio.
Don, W9EBK

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 12:52 PM Jim <n0oct@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Don, W9EBK wrote:
You are going to need 30 to 40 amp hours to do what you want,  with no worries.
For an Argonaut IV or KX2, a 30Ah battery will last a couple of weeks!  For an afternoon's operating, see what other folks who are running QRP on this thread have mentioned.  I have an old Hawker Cyclon cell (4Ah) and a couple of newish SLA (4.5Ah), and in my busiest SOTA operating day I have never drained them enough for the power to cut back on my KX3, running 5-10W.