From: w0rw <w0rw1@...>
To: 4sqrpio <4sqrp@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Feb 4, 2020 7:42 am
Subject: [4SQRP] BC221 on 5 Feb. 2020, 7032, 1800z

5 Feb. 2020 would be better.
1600z. 7032.

After the Winter FD Ops at Ice Station Zebra,
Don, AA6GA, told me that i was not responding to some calls on 7032 kHz.
i checked my BC-221 and found that my transmit frequency was 400Hz lower than my receive frequency. So the only guys i worked were those who didn't zero beat me.
i was not 'transceiving', i was working 'split'.
The base transceiver i am using in my Re-Purposed BC-221 is the '1 Watter'.

i checked out the 1 Watter and found that the 10V regulator (U1, 78L10) on the VXO was not regulating well enough. i tried 3 different 78L10's but they were all inadequate to regulate the 10v line. My 12V battery was dropping down too close to the top requirement of the 10V regulator.
So i replaced U1 with a LM2940T-10, 1A, 10V, Low Drop Out regulator in a TO-220 package.
It also has a 22MF capacitor on the output.
The LDO regulator will keep working as my battery discharges.
(ps: My 'Tune' pot is 50K ohms).
Now  my RX freq is the same as my TX freq. My 10V line is steady now.
i will be back on the air with the BC-221 again testing it on   5 Feb.  2020, 1600z, 7032 kHz.
So if you called me and i didn't answer, here is your chance to get your special "Dino" QSL card.
The description of my Re-Purposed BC-221 is in the  NAQCC Newsletter:
  "A Skin Deep BC-221",
NORTH AMERICAN QRP CW CLUB NAQCC NEWS ISSUE 257 NOVEMBER 2019 KEY CLICKS OUR 15TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION IS OVER.Our week-long celebration of the 15th anniversary of the NAQCC is now complete (almost). It was a lot of fun and you can read a complete report starting
naqcc.info
Paul   w0rw