Re: Cricket 40 Mod

Karl Schwab

The attached photo is of my Cricket 80a that was modified per a post here from a year or so ago, allowing for the use of the straight key or keyer input.  It was a simple mod of cutting a PCB trace and adding a single length of wire.  Neither of which can be seen in this photo.  The short length of wire is directly under the straight key strip.  The mod was nice and clean and works perfectly and should be done on all Cricket builds, in my opinion.  73, de Karl, KO8S

On Friday, February 7, 2020, 10:53:24 AM EST, Daniel Walter via Groups.Io <nm3a@...> wrote:

There were 2 previous mods. The one used a transistor to lower the keying current. It seemed slightly more complicated but apparently allowed for simultaneous use of an external keyer and the straight key. The other mod I had thought of but discarded as it requires a shorting plug, which is another thing to get lost, and a way to hold the key down when the external keyer is used. The extra strip was already there and it requires only a wire and two extra nuts and bolts. And, most importantly to me, both the external keyer and the straight key can be used at the same time with no other items.

Best would be having the jack right on the PCB and no extra strip. Easy to incorporate into a new PCB design, but a little harder to mod the existing one.
--
72/73, Dan
NM3A