Re: Ham planning Katy Trail across-MO bicycle trip

david gauding

Hello Scott.

I don't know your planned pace but starting in Machens at the eastern terminus (St. Charles, MO) a good place to overnight the first day could be Klondike Park. See: https://www.sccmo.org/690/Klondike-Park  It's about thirty-three miles out. Cabins (reserve early) and primitive camping are available and the park is right on the trail. You can catch lunch or dinner at either bar & grill in Defiance, MO about half-way down the trail on day one. There are quite a few wineries along this stretch too. You won't go hungry or thirsty!

My wife and I started riding the Katy in 1990 when it first opened. These days we live about eight miles from the trail. Sandy still rides it occasionally but health issues keep me off now. I still run QRP portable at Klondike from time-to-time and several other shady spots near/along the trail.

Can't help you on repeaters but I'm sure others will chime in. You will want to set some time side for historic Rocheport, MO and Hermann, MO. Plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from there.

As someone has already mentioned the trail is hard on bikes. I read it's 3/8" minus grade limestone. Bad enough when it's dry but can be a real pain when wet. That said it is still a good riding surface and the scenery is ever changing.

Good;luck with your ride. I trust you will be operating portable along the way. Please keep us posted.

Dave Gauding, NF0R