Re: Cricket 40 ac hum

John - KK4ITX

I have a screen shot of a 2 minute session on 20m this afternoon using a home built 9:1 , 35ft of wire at 17ft at peak of Inverted V, the coax shield is the counterpoise and needs to be at least 25ft long and not coiled.

Still doesn’t help your hum but that will take an eyeball to spot ?

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Feb 19, 2020, at 16:58, KA3GMZ via Groups.Io <Joehamer@...> wrote:

I had a versa tuner back in the day  but  have lost it over my years of non activity in the hobby .. have to order something.. need to pick one up ... my original rig was 830s .. I’m rekindled in the hobby with qrp CW ..

On Feb 19, 2020, at 4:38 PM, John - KK4ITX via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

Actually using about 53ft with a 9:1 is just about right .  I do this all the time however you should check the SWR and adjust the wire for a happy point, not necessarily resonant.  Generally speaking, the 9:1 will cover 80-10 using a minimal tuner but without a tuner you really need a meter handy.

Remember, you need to get as much power as possible out the antenna because you don’t have much to start with !

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Feb 19, 2020, at 15:27, Wayne Steury <waynesteury@...> wrote:

I found that the light on a surge protector can cause noise. Otherwise a tuned antenna makes a difference. I used a full wave loop with a tuner. Worked 16 states with my pixie.
N9EGT

On Feb 19, 2020, at 11:24 AM, KA3GMZ via Groups.Io <Joehamer@...> wrote:

Is there a recommended grounding that could eliminate the hum interference? Feeding into 50 ft wire with 9:1 balun - no tuner  .