Re: Fire In The Wire

Austin Seraphin

I have an AXE1 and a Buddistick, but got them as we entered the cooler part of the year, so haven't had much time to test them. The Buddistick can take a little work to tune, but once you set it up it will send out a reliable signal. Just remember to straighten out the coax. The AXE1 works well for quick operation, but I find it didn't tune quite as reliably. If you give the auto tune button on the KX3 a second tap it might do a better job. I'll test more as it gets nicer. I also think I will refit an Alpha Loop with a knob so I can tune it without power. A magnetic loop on the roof deck sounds fun.

On 3/14/20 6:43 PM, Gwen Patton wrote:
It's interesting that you mention W3EDP antennas, Joshua. I have one as my main wire on my home station right now. I love the design, and it seems to work really well for me. I haven't used one portable, though. Should work about the same, I would think. I ran a half-sized one a couple of years ago, as an expedient over the winter when my OCFD came down in a storm, and it worked, just not nearly as well as I'd like. I also have a quarter-size one I used indoors as a test antenna on my bench. Again, it worked, but not super well because of the size and location.

I have the Elecraft AX/AXE portable antenna, but I haven't really had a chance to test it out yet. Maybe this week, if the weather is nice, I'll take it out in the backyard and give it a try. I also have a nifty antenna I bought from a guy on Etsy. He calls it a "SlinkTenna". It's the old standard Slinky antenna, except he uses the junior sized Slinkies, and builds the whole thing in a very well thought out PVC enclosure. It's at https://www.etsy.com/listing/671341314/slinktenna-80m-6m-helical-dipole-hf-ham -- I recommend the optional support kit.

Ok, I'll be quiet now. ;)

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM Joshua Wood <WoodJRx@...> wrote:
Spring is right around the corner, so i'm looking at my current portable antenna options.  Does anyone have any advice on easily deployable portable antennas?  I've had minimal luck with my homebrew EFHWs using a 49:1, and my 9:1 not-so-random wires usually seem deaf.  The NorCal Doublet I made works okay, but is finicky to deploy, and fragile (ribbon cable isn't meant for 40ft runs, apparently).  I made two KE4PT End-Fed OCFD, and loved their form factor - but not their results.  My PAC-12 has had some decent results, but is finicky to tune.  My homemade Mag Loop (using the chameleon kit) has nice sharp tuning and good receive, but i've struggled making contacts with it.  I've had mixed results with a number of QRPGuys kits, as well.

I know it seems like a silly question, but- does anyone have any advice for a portable (i.e. small packed size) multi-band HF antenna (40-30-20-15)?  A club member has loaned me one of their W3EDP, but weather and family obligations haven't been conducive to testing it yet.  I figured now is the time to build new antennas to test this spring / summer!

~Josh
W0ODJ

--

-+-+-+-+-