Re: Fire In The Wire

Joshua Wood

Thank you all for your ideas and recommendations,  in this thread and all the splintered ones, private and public!  My wife had minor sinus surgery, and I work in a hospital,  so I've been a bit preoccupied.   I'm definitely going to go through the responses as soon as I  can!

-Josh
W0ODJ

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 14:10 Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
From the consensus here, I think I'll make myself another full-sized W3EDP End-fed and try that next time I go operate at the park. It'll have to be when the parks are actually OPEN again, as the recent COVID-19 quarantine effort has caused them all to be closed, at least in my neck of the woods. That's literally...one of the parks in question is a humongous farm with big wooded areas here and there with trails throughout it. It's called the Norristown Farm Park, KFF-4363, and it's my favorite since it's only a mile or so from me. One of the side parking lots has a couple of handicapped spaces my van will fit into, and has a picnic table under a small shelter just 50-75 feet from the parking lot, so I can roll my little flat roller cart over there from my van and set up. There's plenty of room, a flat, grassy area, that I usually use for my wire antennas next to the table, so I set up my antenna, then set up the station under the shelter, and begin operating. The only end-fed I've used there so far is the SOTABeams end-fed with the built-in 20/30/40 tuner, and that works reasonably well. But I may just try a W3EDP this spring with my Elecraft T1 tuner and see what results I get.

I've got other experiments on the burner as well, including a dipole made of electric fence strap -- 15 parallel stainless-steel wires woven lengthwise into a 2" wide strap of poly webbing. It's used to make some fantastically wide-bandwidth single band dipoles, so I want to see if I can make a fan dipole using the stuff. There may be too much coupling between the wires, but it's worth a try. It might just need a lot of trimming to overcome the coupling. If that's the case, I may be able to make a decent multi-band fan dipole that's simpler to erect. I'd model it, but frankly, I don't yet know how to use the modeling software. I've got several programs, but they're so much Greek to me! hi hi

73
Gwen, NG3P

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
I am a big fan of end fed antennas for portable use as well. Even when I
am in a wooded area I usually use my 31' or 28' Jackite pole as a
support. I attach the wire to the tip, extend the mast to its full
height, and then just let it lean into a tree.

Tim N9PUZ

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time