From: Charlie Vest
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2020 4:27 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io ; Stan via groups.io ; QRP-L Mailing List ; St. Louis QRP Society ; qrpguys@...
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Twenty years a major change occured to the QRP amateur radio hobby

Gee maybe a 25th anniversary edition would make for a nice project ....

Just ran into my Original badge from Ozarkcon 1 , I guess , in Joplin the other day. LOTS of GREAT memories of

that first event !!

Charlie , W5COV

On April 4, 2020 at 3:48 PM "Stan via groups.io" <w9ifz@...> wrote:

     The Forty-9er was born 25 years ago in March 1996.  The QRP hobby segment had been around for a long time, but suddenly a pocket size transceiver with a superior receiver to the crystal set design of the popular Pixies was available and the 49-er was powered by a small 9 Volt battery.

      Wayne Burdick, N6KR was the designer and QRPp magazine ‘s March 1996 issue Volume IV, Number 1 had the details.  There was a source for a PCB for only $5 which include shipping thanks to Jim Cates.

       Quicker than a rabbit being chased by a pack of hungry hound dogs, I went looking for a case to put it in and found an Altoids metal case was perfect.

        By June, the latest issue of QRPp, included several minor improvements, including audio mods by NA5N, AC6AN, and others in addition to updates from Wayne.

        I believe a major transformation and step forward for the QRP low power segment of our great amateur radio hobby resulted due to the 49-er.

PS: Wayne, K6KR, later created Elecraft.

Stan, AK0B