Re: Attic?

John - KK4ITX

Doc,

Opinions and suggestions are great but I have found that trying is best.... because each location is different for way too many reasons to cover here.  You may find that a Dipole works better ?

Build the endfed, should be less than $10 at QRP levels.  See how it works. If it doesn’t work out you already have the coax run to try something else.  I have many failures in my shed and it’s part of the hobby.

I use a 35ft EF and cover the U.S., Canada and more at both QRP and WSPR levels, from Florida.

To see how my antenna is performing I use WSPR....... yes it is a Digital Mode but what it tells me is that my 5w CW should be heard wherever WSPR reports hearing me at just a 200mw signal.  A 200mw signal is equal to about 4w CW.  The comparison between my Vertical and the EF is quite clear........ sometimes better or not, I use WSPR to help me to determine which antenna to use.

Using WSPR will tell you more about your system than just about anything else because it’s a real time result, not theory..... doesn’t depend on perfect CW for the RBN to decode.

We are fortunate to now have tools (FREE) at our disposal that can give us real time answers to which antenna is best......... at this minute !

72,

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On May 11, 2020, at 20:42, w2sh@... wrote:

Another suggestion is to view the June 1949 QST with several indoor antenna designs.

72,

Charles, W2SH