Re: The mysteries of tuning a random wire

Dave W0DCX

I just read Jim's latest post.  Very nice.  I have not yet done a full sweep, but I did try characterizing this so-called antenna for a few bands.  I think the results are consistent with what I originally posted.  But I have to admit this test in probably flawed, for example I don't think my two counterpoises are fully and fairly comparable as they are each positioned differently.  But anyway, I did the work so here are the results.  One of the most marked features is that on 30 meters (the band that behaves the best) the reactive component X is inductive with the 17' cp but capacitive with the 29' cp!  All other reactances are always capacitive.  So 30 meters seems not to care too much either way, it tunes fine with my KX2.  Also, things seem to go south on 20 meters with a longer cp in terms of SWR.  Sorry about the piecemeal telling of this sordid tale.  I will do the full sweep as Jim suggested and see what happens.  I am still learning the ins and outs of the VNA.  Table is included as both a screenshot and a Word.doc attachment.
Dave W0DCX