Re: Of interest, a "paraset" connection

Tom Sevart

On 6/30/2020 18:56, Frank Perkins wrote:
I've read several books about those brave radio operators
Men operators started to be arrested because most men were expected to be serving in the war, and those left behind became suspecious. So the spy operations started recruiting women, who went about their routine daily lives ignored by the German occupation staff.
One book I liked was "The lost girls of Paris" by Pam Jenoff.
Frank N6CES
Part of the problem also was that the allies were using direct conversion receivers in their sets. For those who aren't aware, DC receivers tend to emit a heterodyne right on the frequency they're operating on. So when the German DF units found the general location of the transmitted signal, if they got close enough they'd pick up the het from the receiver right on the same frequency. Get close enough to the receiver and the het is almost as strong as the transmitted signal. So when you're trying to stay hidden, it's really bad when your receiver puts out a strong signal on the freq you're operating on.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS