From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Frank Perkins <N6CES.r@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 0:09
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Of interest, a "paraset" connection

Yes, it seemed that those stationed at "listening posts" were the most vulnerable.
Since batteries were a scarce commodity, non-listening post stations completely shut down and hid the radio after their scheduled op-time. This, along with a secret, but appearingly random schedule, made detection more difficult.
When small aircraft made their nite pickup and drops of spies, batteries and first-aid supplies were usual cargo to the underground resistance groups.
Fantastic reading.
Frank N6CES

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 6:14 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 6/30/2020 18:56, Frank Perkins wrote:
> I've read several books about those brave radio operators
> Men operators started to be arrested because most men were expected to
> be serving in the war, and those left behind became suspecious. So the
> spy operations started recruiting women, who went about their routine
> daily lives ignored by the German occupation staff.
> One book I liked was "The lost girls of Paris" by Pam Jenoff.
> Frank N6CES

Part of the problem also was that the allies were using direct
conversion receivers in their sets.  For those who aren't aware, DC
receivers tend to emit a heterodyne right on the frequency they're
operating on.  So when the German DF units found the general location of
the transmitted signal, if they got close enough they'd pick up the het
from the receiver right on the same frequency.  Get close enough to the
receiver and the het is almost as strong as the transmitted signal.  So
when you're trying to stay hidden, it's really bad when your receiver
puts out a strong signal on the freq you're operating on.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Charles Moizeau, W2SH