New Hilltopper20/40

Leland L. Bahr

I received my two new Hilltopper kits today from the new batch just released!  Thanks 4SQRP for your efforts.   (I plan to convert the new 40 meter kit to 30 meters as I already own a 40 and 20 meter Hilltopper.  If possible, I'd like to turn the 20 meter kit into a 17 or 15 meter transceiver.)  This is a nice kit.  If you missed out on prior Hilltopper offerings, you might consider purchasing one now while they are again available.

(True 5 watts without insane voltage applied to the radio, keyer, single conversion receiver, covers the entire band so for 40 meters you not only have the lower cw frequencies but the often used 7100-7125 khz portion of the band not available on some kits.  (I like the 7100-7125 portion of the band.)  On receive it draws only 70 ma and the rig has reverse voltage protection.  The two SMT parts are preinstalled on the board.  The three BS-170 transistors, in the final, are inexpensive to replace if ever needed.  You also get a case for the radio.  The parts are well laid out with individual packages as you build up the transceiver.  Each bag is marked for each of the build steps.  The parts count is not excessive either in this kit.  I also noticed, unlike in the earlier offering, the case for this offering no longer states the case is for 40 meters or 20 meters.  It just says "Hilltopper".  (Great news for me as I plan to use the radios on other bands then 20 and 40 meters.)  Although this kit is not considered a beginners project,  I suspect more first time builders  will have success building this kit then many other I have seen.  The manual is superb.  My only wish is I would have liked the keyer to be a memory keyer.  That means I'll be using an outboard keyer with this transceiver.

Lee, w0vt, w5drc