Re: Keying interface for PC

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Jim
I appreciate you digging into this.
I am trying to key my Kx3 for the upcoming NAQACC N3A event.

I was thinking that it required two port connections, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that?

The little interface would still be a great asset on a simpler QRP rig.

Thanks again
73
Johnny ACØBQ

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM n5ib_2 <n5ib@...> wrote:
Update:   it's amazing what you can learn just by "doing your homework"    :^))

Scott (N3FJP) has in fact already implemented an "almost as good" feature for sending CW over the CAT connection to the Elecraft rigs (and others that support a similar feature, like the Icom 7600 and 7610)

In the CW transmit settings, if the function key stored messages are prefixed with "RI:" then the characters that follow will be sent over the active CAT link as command(s) rather than used as text to key the transmitter over a separate keying link.

See the Elecraft KIO2 programmer's reference, page 9:

<https://ftp.elecraft.com/K2/Manuals%20Downloads/KIO2%20Pgmrs%20Ref%20rev%20E.pdf>

and N3FJP's CW transmit settings instructions (quoted below):

".....

With version 1.1, I have added the ability to play saved CW strings stored in your rig (for rigs equipped with this feature).  To send a command to your rig instead of sending the string, precede the text with RI:.  For example, when placed in an F key string, the following will trigger the Icom 7300 and Icom 7610 internally recorded voice messages: (you must have rig interface enabled and be connected by a com port)......"

For example, if the F4 key is loaded with "RI:SW16;SW08;" then pressing the F4 key will send the message stored in the K2's message memory #1.

  the SW16;  simulates a tap of the MSG button, and the SW08; simulates tapping the "1" button.

In like manner...

"RI:SW16;SW09;"  sends memory #2,  "RI:SW16;SW10;"  sends #3 and so on.

So in one swell foop [sic] I've almost obsoleted my wired USB keying interface     LOL    and designated the wireless BlueTooth CAT link as a the keying interface.

What is lost in the scheme is the ability to auto-insert callsigns, serial numbers, etc into a stored message. So Scott still owes us some midnight oil...       Break's Over, Scott!!       LOL

Jim, N5IB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com