Re: Keying interface for PC

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Charles
I’m using N3JFP AC log right now.
I bought his whole package so I can get unlimited updates.
72
Johnny

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Single cable to the KX2/KX3 will take care of keying and

frequency readout for loads of loggers.  I'm currently using

CQRlog under Linux but I was using it previously with RUMlogNG

under Mac.  It's brilliant.  Honestly CQRlog is a little clumsier

to use but it still works great.  You don't need to store message

on the KX2/KX3.  The macro keys or pre-programmed RUN or S&P

messages are sent from your computer.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On 9/26/20 1:01 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:

Thanks Jim

I appreciate you digging into this.

I am trying to key my Kx3 for the upcoming NAQACC

N3A event.

I was thinking that it required two port

connections, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that?

The little interface would still be a great asset

on a simpler QRP rig.

Thanks again

73

Johnny ACØBQ

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at

11:48 AM n5ib_2 <n5ib@...> wrote:

Update:   it's amazing what

you can learn just by "doing your homework"    :^))

Scott (N3FJP) has in fact already implemented an "almost as

good" feature for sending CW over the CAT connection to the

Elecraft rigs (and others that support a similar feature,

like the Icom 7600 and 7610)

In the CW transmit settings, if the function key stored

messages are prefixed with "RI:" then the characters that

follow will be sent over the active CAT link as command(s)

rather than used as text to key the transmitter over a

separate keying link.

See the Elecraft KIO2 programmer's reference, page 9:

<https://ftp.elecraft.com/K2/Manuals%20Downloads/KIO2%20Pgmrs%20Ref%20rev%20E.pdf>

and N3FJP's CW transmit settings instructions (quoted

below):

".....

With version 1.1, I have added the ability to play saved CW

strings stored in your rig (for rigs equipped with this

feature).  To send a command to your rig instead of sending

the string, precede the text with RI:.  For example, when

placed in an F key string, the following will trigger the

Icom 7300 and Icom 7610 internally recorded voice messages:

(you must have rig interface enabled and be connected by a

com port)......"

For example, if the F4 key is loaded with "RI:SW16;SW08;"

then pressing the F4 key will send the message stored in the

K2's message memory #1.

  the SW16;  simulates a tap of the MSG button, and the

SW08; simulates tapping the "1" button.

In like manner...

"RI:SW16;SW09;"  sends memory #2,  "RI:SW16;SW10;"  sends #3

and so on.

So in one swell foop [sic] I've almost obsoleted my wired

USB keying interface     LOL    and designated the wireless

BlueTooth CAT link as a the keying interface.

What is lost in the scheme is the ability to auto-insert

callsigns, serial numbers, etc into a stored message. So

Scott still owes us some midnight oil...       Break's Over,

Scott!!       LOL

Jim, N5IB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com