Re: Soldering Iron Temperature

Paul Goemans

Hi Woody!
  I use (and we used in the electronics repair shop I worked in for 41 years) 700 degrees F. If you have a 40 or 50 watt iron, it’s all you need. Don’t mess with the temperature. You won’t wreck the board or parts.
  If you are using RoHs compliant silver-bearing solder then I think 750 degrees F. Someone please check me on this?

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 2:11 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Soldering Iron Temperature

Questions for experienced builders who have a soldering station that allows the temperature of the tip to be adjusted.

For normal kit building, what  temperature do you generally use? (Fahrenheit please).

Are there specific tasks during the build when you increase, or decrease the temperature?  If so, in just a few words, what are they?

How hard, or easy is it to damage certain components or even the board if too hot? ...and what is too hot?

If your answers are reasonably short and would be of interest to others answer on list.  Also feel free to "Elmer me" off list.  I recently burned through a trace on a board that wasn't visible.  It was a challenge to isolate and fix the problem.... so, I need to learn.  Thanks / Woody / WD9F

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.