Re: Soldering Iron Temperature

Jim Sheldon

Hi Woody,
I have mine set to 750 Fahrenheit on a mostly pointed tip with very slight rounding on the end.  Seems to handle just about everything but the really heavy jobs like PL259 shields and the like. For those, I use a larger diameter, “chisel style” tip and set the temp to 800 to 850 F.

Jim, W0EB

On Nov 21, 2020, at 2:11 PM, Woody Hester via groups.io <fghester@...> wrote:

Questions for experienced builders who have a soldering station that allows the temperature of the tip to be adjusted.

For normal kit building, what  temperature do you generally use? (Fahrenheit please).

Are there specific tasks during the build when you increase, or decrease the temperature?  If so, in just a few words, what are they?

How hard, or easy is it to damage certain components or even the board if too hot? ...and what is too hot?

If your answers are reasonably short and would be of interest to others answer on list.  Also feel free to "Elmer me" off list.  I recently burned through a trace on a board that wasn't visible.  It was a challenge to isolate and fix the problem.... so, I need to learn.  Thanks / Woody / WD9F