Re: Soldering Iron Temperature

AndyH

Great question, Woody!

   I'll toss my thoughts in the jar as well - should make the mud that much more rich! hihihi

   I use a Weller WES51 soldering iron with an analog temp dial on the front.  For SMD work from 1206 to 0403, and for through-hole assembly, I use 650° F and Radio Shack 62/36/2 silver bearing solder.  I sometimes have to take the temp to 700 or 750, or switch from a thin pencil to a larger chisel tip in order to attach parts to copper-fill grounds that don't have thermal relief pads.  I try to keep the heat to a 2 second count at most and will tweak the temp and/or the tip to keep that approximate rhythm.

   I hope that's useful.
   73, Andy, KG5RKP

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 02:11 PM, Woody Hester wrote:
Questions for experienced builders who have a soldering station that allows the temperature of the tip to be adjusted.

For normal kit building, what  temperature do you generally use? (Fahrenheit please).

Are there specific tasks during the build when you increase, or decrease the temperature?  If so, in just a few words, what are they?

How hard, or easy is it to damage certain components or even the board if too hot? ...and what is too hot?

If your answers are reasonably short and would be of interest to others answer on list.  Also feel free to "Elmer me" off list.  I recently burned through a trace on a board that wasn't visible.  It was a challenge to isolate and fix the problem.... so, I need to learn.  Thanks / Woody / WD9F