Re: QSTs (2015, 2016, 2017) - free for cost of shipping

David Wilcox

What ever happened to the kids and sometimes adults getting onto the hobby or even those who were not ARRL members who in the past clamored for the recent and even old copies of QST, 73, CQ, etc?  We used to haul them home and go through them like Radio Shack and Heathkit catalogs devouring every word and dreaming of someday owning those long forgotten rigs or building some of the kits and projects that were available but not on our budget.  Is no one curious or can they all afford the back issue CDs or going through the complicated process of the ARRL archives to find something fun or interesting?  Just wondering.

When in model RC airplane building a few years ago even at my mid age I enjoyed any older issues of the modeling mags I could scrounge up to see what had been done before and what was happening on the “new” scene.

Those older mags are great bathroom reading fodder or read just when I was just too tired or lazy to go to the shack and make a contact or repair one of my plane wrecks.  I still take my one or two year old copies of ham mags to the club and most of the time they sit there.  There aren’t that many mags being printed anymore so the piles I bring  are even much smaller than years ago.  They are FREE too! I just don’t get it.

Dave K8WPE since 1960, probably living in the past too much but the undertaker won’t be able to wipe the smile off my face when my time comes.  Thank you ham radio and the Elmers that put up with me back in the day.  Ham Radio, still Cheaper than a psychiatrist and less trouble than a mistress, and still bringing everlasting joy.

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Nov 26, 2020, at 10:39 PM, Louis Axeman via groups.io <n8la@...> wrote:

Maybe take them to a thrift store if there are no takers.  They may spur interest in amateur radio in someone who sees them there.

Lou,  N8LA

On Thursday, November 26, 2020, 09:23:46 PM CST, David Lininger <kb0zke@...> wrote:

John, I had the same problem several years ago. As was mentioned, ARRL
members can get the information for free online simply by searching for
what they want. Without an index, a pile of magazines is just a pile of
magazines. Also, I suspect that most hams have their own pile of magazines.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10