Re: What Kit's would be nice for 2021

Gwen Patton

I like the idea of the tube based xcvr. I've never built one, though I do have an FT-101 upstairs that I want to recap, retube, and neutralize. There's something wonky in the thing...when it has been on for a while, suddenly receive gain drops by about half. I'm thinking it's some thermal issue somewhere, but don't even have a clue where to start looking. Otherwise, it's a great radio. So I wouldn't mind a tube xcvr kit, to help me learn more about tube sets.

Other than that, getting the Freq-Mite back into availability, even if it needs a redesign so it can make use of parts that ARE available...as I gather the reason it's not currently available is because of some parts being hard or impossible to get? I've got several radios that have NO way to determine what frequency they're on, either receive or transmit, and I'd like to be able to use them with some reliable way to know WHERE I'm using them!

I once talked to a ham, John Portune, W6NBC, who had an article about QRP power level PCB traps for antennas. I even have his etching overlays for the boards. I just don't know enough about traps to be able to properly tune the things. So I was thinking the club could approach him, and convert his PCB designs to Kicad or Eagle or something, then send them to one of the PCB houses for etching a bunch of 'em. Work up a way to reliably tune them up, and make them available as a trapped antenna kit for QRP. He told me they're available for use, but for a club kit I'd probably drop him a note.

Here's his original QST article on the PCB traps: http://w6nbc.com/articles/2018-05QSTtraps.pdf

73,
Gwen, NG3P