Re: Bayou Jumper kit

OwlCricker - K7ULM

On Ebay you can find a large number of FT-243 crystal bodies that you can put crystals into or even find a few in the right range if you are lucky.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dick Wendell - K7ULM
406-781-1333

If you don't know Morse Code,
You don't know dit.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 3:27 PM Gary E. Kohtala via groups.io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I finished my kit but ran into problems with the receiver. All I get is Brother Stair's AM shortwave
broadcast blasting through. The audio becomes louder as I turn the Attenuator to the right. Regen does
nothing, nor does tuning. I must have goofed somewhere. I am going to remove the toroid and reinstall it
on the bottom vice the top of the board. Although it can go in either location, I found it very difficult
to adjust the turns spacing as installed. So I will step back, take a breath, and reinstall the toroid
on the bottom in a day or so. I've been a ham since 1967 and do not knowingly remember building and/or
using a regen type receiver. Now 54 years later I must digress and learn about them.. :-).

The transmitter on the other hand is quite amazing. It works very well and puts out a whopping signal.
I was quite amazed. I've been jumping between 7030 and 7122 calling CQ's from time to time while listening
on one of my big rigs. I'm getting responses and seeing posts on RBN with great signals, despite horrid
band conditions.

On a more positive note, I did manage to get the prescribed small wooden box at my local Hobby Lobby. It
was the last one. I was unsure whether or not the board would fit so I had to make a second trip with the
board to actually place it into the box. Bingo! Perfect. $9 and some change and I am all set. Now I just
need to get the receiver working.

Question:  Are additional crystal adaptor boards available? If so, from where and how much? I would like
to buy 5-6 more as I have a handful of additional crystals I'd like to use with the BJ 40.

Happy new year, and please stay safe...

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK