Re: 40 and 80 Meter Nets

n4mj

FWIW - 40m propagation has been long for a while but occasionally it does open for short hops.  Tuesday evening our Fox Hunt maps showed 40m propagation to be approximately 1000 miles from the transmitting station. That was verified by our live maps.  One Fox in PA was able to make contacts from WI down through FL and almost none elsewhere.  The second Fox, in TX, had a similar experience.  His saving was his more central location in the U.S. but still his contacts were at plus/minus the 1000 mile range, from CA to ME..

I am located in the between the two Foxii and was able to contact both but with less than desirable reports.  As the evening wore on the TX Fox signal increased to a nice level then began fading again. The PA Fox was a struggle.

Timing was important in this event.  Our hunt began at 0200z and ended at 0330z. It appears the propagation band was moving from east to west during this time frame, as usual, following the sun

Said all that to say this: never heard the 4S net on 40m last night. I'm about 400 air miles from Johnny and I believe Nate is less than 100 air miles from Johnny. So, no surprise we didn't hear the net on 40m.  80m was better and easy to hear/contact Johnny but the QSB was rapid and there was some noise on the band.  Johnny was 579 here and he gave me a 559.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Thursday, January 28, 2021, 08:21:34 AM CST, Paul Goemans <wa9pwp@...> wrote:

Well,
  Long skip on 40 last night. I only heard WI5H. And on 7120 KHz during net I heard several 7’s in QSO. And skip was almost too long on 80!

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 8:57 PM
To: 4sqrpio
Subject: [4SQRP] 40 and 80 Meter Nets

Ge Group
I'm sorry about my local or ??? QRM tonight.
40 Meters had qrm that pulsed from s7 to s9 and would pause and then go again?
80 Meters was a lot better.

Check in's were:
40 METERS
N4ELM   DAVE
KW4JS JOHN
WI5H MIKE

80 METERS
NOYJ BERT
KW4JS JOHN * DOUBLE
N4MJ GLENN
N4ELM DAVE * DOUBLE
WA0PWP PAUL
AA9AA MIKE
WA0ITP TERRY
AND
WI5H MIKE DOUBLE
At least I didn't forget to call the Net tonight!
Say well and Stay safe!

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..