Re: AM Murania Radio Receiver Question

Jim, N5IB

Hi Phillip,

The little TA642 AM receiver IC chip is designed to run with a very low voltage supply - for battery operated gear. It can run on just a single AA battery.
The red LED has a forward voltage drop generally from about 1.6 to 1.8 V when it's illuminated, so it maintains a steady voltage to supply the TA642.

You could do the same thing with two or three conventional silicon diodes in series, or with a 2V zener, if you could find one.
But in the QRP tradition of doing more with less, we get the required voltage regulation.... and the light we get for free!

Jim, N5IB