Re: Insulator for Ground Mounted Vertical Antenna

John <johnk5mo@...>

Coke bottle taped to a buried stake, PVC pipe slipped over a fencepost, etc etc etc.....

It's not fussy! :-)
John K5MO

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Robert Harrison via groups.io <rm.harrison=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had some 1 1/2 inch underground electrical conduit laying around, grey plastic, pounded in to soil, no guy wires on 18 ft verticle, this simple one with loading coil on base.  Setup about 9 months ago, no issues
Robert Kg6tgi

---- On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:45:45 -0800 Curt via groups.io<wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote ---
I have 2 ground mounted verticals, both happen to be Cushcraft which use a 1.25 inch fiberglass tube.  Sometimes a wind gust will bring down the vertical even though have staked guy ropes on each.  Or this time my shorter vertical came down so I am suspicious a deer may have ran into my guy rope.  Of course this cracks the fiberglass usually at the bottom connection to the grounded base.  Last time I ordered these from the manufacturer it took a couple months.  Does anyone use an alternate recipe or buy fiberglass tubing from somewhere?  I did see someone using 2 PVC pipes nested into each other for strength - of course I prefer a solution with more common materials.  Curious what others are doing.

73 Curt WB8YYY