Re: Some Good Murania News

Philip Karras <ke3fl@...>

Hi Curt,

Yep, that's the plan. Make simple mods first - Think I'll shorten the loop a bit & see if that helps even more than bending it flat to the board to get it away from the loopstick,

Then add more loops, one mod suggested ~ 72 loops & the tuner would then match up better to the printed frequencies. That will be the next mod I try.

73 de KE3FL,
Phil
ARRL OES, ORS, & VE
ARRL Life Member

On Friday, February 12, 2021, 3:13:02 PM EST, Curt via groups.io <wb8yyy@...> wrote:

Phil

These receivers using regeneration have different physics. You should not need more antenna, a loopstick will receive AM stations by itself over hundreds of miles at night.

Also better to have less coupling between the antenna and regeneration circuitry. Counter intuitive but true. Tuning is sharper with less signal coupled in, and the regeneration makes up for it. Patiently try less coupling. You want higher Q to get better selectivity.

My own AM regen is different, it uses a tube at 12 volts only on the plate. Like n3sb reports for his Murania, it pulls in dx at night. I also have a homebrew ozark patrol here, and a few other regens.

I did run across a blog discussing a modified murania, but get your stock radio working better with some adjustments.

Curt