Re: Newbie Looking for Kit Recommendation

W3BNO

I have built and use all three Hilltoppers transceivers. In my opinion they offer the best performance for the cost. They are not overly difficult to build and all have very good well documented manuals. The circuitry is also well proven design and the board layout is not too crowded. If you take your time and follow the instructions in the order presented in the manual you really can't go wrong. Note the components are sorted into groups that mimic the order of installation in the manual. In addition the designer Dave Benson is really good about answering questions if you have a problem. I use mine to primarily rag chew  on CW while operating portable. Good luck and I look forward to having a Hilltoppers to Hilltoppers QSO.     73s jJohn W3BNO

On Feb 17, 2021, at 11:30 AM, N8KDC <N8KDC@...> wrote:

Just received a new soldering station but NO experience with soldering circuit type items. Advancing my CW skills and want to try QRP with one of the 4SQRP kits. Thinking 40m with either the Hilltopper or the Cricket. Learning so open to advice.