Re: Portable Antenna Survey

Jim Sheldon

Like Larry, W2LJ I use the PAR EndFEDZ 40, 20, 10  but the Buddistick was a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay so I built a take apart vertical using some thick wall aircraft hydraulic tubing with an inside diameter that turned out to be the perfect size to allow it to be tapped 3/8-24.  I use a 3/8-24 X 1.5" set screw in one end of each of the sections to allow them to screw together.  The sections are each 1 foot long and they will fit perfectly in a Pelican style case along with a Radio Shack TV Rabbit Ear replacement that I've adapted to annother piece of smaller tubing that is threaded 3/8-24 on the outside.  The 40-10 meter coil is one I bought from the BuddiPole people and the whole antenna fits in the waterproof case.  I have another identical case that I use to carry my KX3 along with its microphone, paddles and a 13.8 volt 3.5 amp laptop style power supply in case I can get near power.  Otherwise, I have a 140 watt 110 volt inverter that plugs into the car's lighter socket and a number of good sized 12 volt gel cells ranging from 8 to 17 amp hours.

I also have a vertical that I picked up at OzarkCon from Bill of "Loops and More" that isn't as easily portable, but when it's set up it's 21 feet tall, non resonant and can be loaded with a tuner on everything 80 through 6 meters.

At almost 72, I don't do the hiking in the field any more and certainly don't climb summits, but any where I can get to with the car is fair game.  Once arriving, I can have an all mode QRP station set up and operating in under 10 minutes and if there are enough trees around for antenna supports, I carry enough wire that I can even put up an inverted L for 160 if necessary.  All of this excluding the bigger gel cells and the 21' vertical weighs in under 10 pounds.

Use your imagination and you can come up with any number of workable antennas.  Especially if you have a good, wide range tuner.  Fortunately the internal auto-tuner in the KX3 seems to give me a 1.2:1 or better match with anything I've put up so far.

Jim - W0EB