Re: Anybody using a 4slink with a KX3?

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

Thanks for that Jim. Weird that they designed it that way! I think I'll change the rig so I can use "normal" cables.

73
Steve

On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Hi Steve,
Yup, I'm using one.  It's straightforward except for one glitch.  The MIC/PTT jack is wired backwards for the KX3 so you can't use a commercially wired stereo cable between the 4SLink and the KX3.  In the 4SLink, on that jack, audio is on the ring and PTT is on the tip.  I don't know why it was designed that way as most rigs use the convention of microphone audio on the tip and PTT on the ring with, of course, ground being on the shell.

You have 2 choices, you can either make up a cable with the radio end having audio on the tip and PTT on the ring or you can do as I did and modify the 4SLink.  I cut the traces going to tip and ring on the MIC/PTT Jack and using some 22 gauge wire, re-wired the jack so that audio now appears on the tip contact and PTT appears on the ring contact.  Now, I can use the Elecraft cable kit option and the 4SLink really works great between my laptop and the KX3.

If you go the modified cable route, be sure and mark that cable so you don't accidentally get it mixed up with a normal one.  Having the tip and ring interchanged between ends might create a problem in some other situation.

Jim - W0EB