Re: Bending the wire

Lee

I used to use a loop of wire fed by an SGC autotuner. I was able to work 160-10 with this combination with up to 20 watts on CW/digital/SSB (50 watts on rare occasions). You can set the SGC to auto-tune every time the frequency changes, and route power through your coax by using power isolators; you end up with a totally remoted system. It worked well enough to earn DXCC................

73 deLee KX4TT

On Tuesday, 19 October 2021, 04:53:33 pm GMT-4, Derek Burrage <dmburrage425@...> wrote:

Michael, I have an 80/40/20/10 m W8NX (ARRL Antenna Guide) trap dipole outside at about 30 ft, sloping somewhat. This allows me to work CW between Florida and Ohio from Louisiana with < 5 W. I also have a simple 40 m dipole in the attic, with a horizontal bend in one arm, starting about 10 feet from the feed, initially at about 30 deg then going to almost 90 deg at the end. I did this because I live in Louisiana, and wanted to expand my options when storms are about. My rigs are kit QRP, so I can't really say what I am losing, but it could be one or two S-units down on RX compared with the multibander (still plenty of signals on CW and even some on SSB, which is strictly not in the tuning range). The antenna is suspended from the roof rafters by string loops, a few feet down from the roof line. The key is to tune the attic antenna properly (I progressively shortened it, by ultimately a few feet, at each end) using my QRPOmeter to monitor SWR until I got a dip in the middle and < 2 over the General CW band. You need to know that your roof material will modify the dielectric environment of the antenna. My roof is conventional 'cork' tiling, and it changes the effective antenna length, and it will matter somewhat if the roof is wet or dry. I found this gave me a satisfactory alternative even during rain, at least for RX (Caveat TX/ QSO success has not yet been verified!). I hope this helps you get something working. 73, Derek (KF5CYN)