Re: Bending the wire

Bobby Drummond

Question for the group:

Has anyone had success using a deliberate zig zag layout in an attic antenna?   I have an attic that is about 40 feet long at its longest point.  A doublet, if erected conventionally, would only be long enough for the 20 meter band and up.  I have heard (and used) an attic doublet antenna where the ends are bent in an L (one L pointed north on one side of the antenna and pointed south on the other side of the antenna)

If I laid out each side in a zig zag pattern I would be able to have more wire on each side, of course, but I am sure there would be some negative factors that would have to be considered.  I'm thinking that this might even give me enough wire in the air to be effective down to 40 meters.

Is there anyone on the list that could do an antenna modeling mock up of said antenna?

Bobby - AK4JA

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 11:29 PM Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...> wrote:
Thanks, Dick.

Kent

On Oct 19, 2021, at 10:17 PM, OwlCricker - K7ULM <dickw299@...> wrote:

https://pa3hho.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/upc-unique-wire-tuner-2/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dick Wendell - K7ULM
406-781-1333

If you don't know Morse Code,
You don't know dit.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 9:01 PM Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...> wrote:
Way too sophisticated!

Newly graduated from grad school in 1970 and in a basement apartment, I ran a 20-gauge hookup wire out a window, under some gravel, through some bushes, to a self-tapping screw (to hell with the paint) into a downspout.  The other end to a UPC Unique Wire Tuner (that was its name and I still have it), to an FT-101B kicking out about 140 watts.   Same results plus wonderfully geometric TVI.  I only operated late at night.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On Oct 19, 2021, at 6:59 PM, Thomas Martin <tem494@...> wrote:

Some time ago the discussion was about antennas for limited spaces and mentioned that I had used the homes gutter system.
Here is a run down of what I used to make my gutters a working antenna. I obtained most of my information from articles on the internet and modified as to see fit to fit my location.
The back of my home which faces North has a continuous run of about 45 feet plus to down spouts each about 15 feet each giving me a length of roughly 75 feet. I must note none of the down spouts come on contact with the ground. I used a 9:1 unun which was attached to one of the down spouts I used self tapping metal screws to attach a short 14 gauge wire to the down spouts ( paint was removed around the crimp ring) this wire was attached to the unun. A wire from the radial terminal on the unun was the attaches to the ground rod. It should be noted that the wire from the down spout to the unun should be kept off the ground and I also kept it relatively short but that was my decision to do. I fed this with RG 8X.
Using this arrangement I have been able to work North America South America, Europe at one point was able to work Japan and  Hawaii. I have ordered a commercial made gutter antenna which haven’t received yet but if there is interest I can share my results.
This has been a great alternative for my HOA restrictions and my feelings I would use it even if I didn’t have HOA restrictions.

Tom
K0amd

--
73 de AK4JA