Re: QSL / LOTW / Logging Question

Charlie Vest

Hi Gang ,

GREAT GROUP and I knew that if I wanted a very good and honest answer to such a question this was the group that I felt could give me the best answers .

All seem pretty consistent with my current plans , not to be in a hurry on LOTW confirmations , and I had already ordered some additional cards earlier this week so I could do the direct also .

I did read a ton of reviews on LOTW before I set it up . Many of them were negative for whatever reason . After installing it ( what did I have to lose other than some time trying an install ) , I knew it should be quicker and it definitely would save money !! I have suffered a "minor" brain injury and sometimes even simple things appear difficult at times , so I was more than a little nervous after reading many of the reviews about my ability to get it up and running .

It was an absolute piece of cake to set up and get running . Waiting for my confirmation number from the ARRL was the most difficult part of installing and setting it up . I do hope it will become more popular among the ham world , because it really is a nice program that will save you both time and money if you do much operating .

If you haven't started using LOTW , let me assure you if I can get it running with zero problems , virtually anyone can do it . It is well worth the time to install .

A BIG Thank you , to this great group and all of the responses .

73 ,
Charlie , W5COV

�
Hi Charlie,
Personally, If I really want the QSL I go direct, very few will ignore a direct QSL request. I even got one from a guy who had to make one on his computer specially for me. I do use both LOTW and eQSL and I have to say that I am disappointed with the level of confirmation on LOTW. eQSL now has the facility to actually print the card if you require hard copy.
So I guess with all this rambling I'm saying direct is still the best method for getting one back.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Charlie , W5COV <cvest@...> wrote:
�

Okay I have been a ham for 48 years and made countless contacts over the
years , but never had any interesting in collecting cards or awards .

Recently after looking at my log book I saw very little actual on the
air activity in the past few years , even though I try to work on the
bench almost every day . I have also built countless projects , but just
use them for a few contacts to make sure they work correctly and give
them away or put them on the shelf . I do operate different types of
beacons on a fairly regular basis.

Two or three months ago I decided to reset my QSO counter to zero and go
after every special event , contest , any special piece of paper , for
WAS , DXCC , VUCC any award in the books on any band from 160 though 432
MHz. on any and all modes possible .

I bought the entire N3FJP group of logging programs , and set up LOTW ,
to keep track of all the different awards . I also belong to E-QSL and
QRZ , plus of course the ARRL .

What is the best way today to collect cards both domestic and foreign ?
To me it is looking like direct might still be the best . From what I
read on the E-QSL site , the ARRL doesn't accept their QSL's for awards .

However LOTW has such a low rate of confirmation , it is almost not
worth the time to even log them and upload / download the contacts . I
just took a quick look at 50 contacts in July and only 4 of them have
been confirmed through LOTW . E-QSL has a MUCH higher confirmation rate
, but again should I even be wasting my time doing uploads and downloads
from them if the ARRL is not going to recognize them .

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to maximize my QSO confirmations in
today's world would be greatly appreciated . I am hoping some of you can
teach this old dog some new tricks .

Thanks and I hope I don't sound too ignorant for someone who has enjoyed
the hobby for this many wonderful years and now has an even greater
newly acquired interest in operating and having fun at it once again .

73 ,

Charlie , W5COV

--
http://www.qsl.net/kc0pmh/�� Under construction but please visit anyway.