Re: QSL / LOTW / Logging Question

Nick-WA5BDU

I'm not enough of an expert to try to solve the problem, but your story is a good cautionary tale for others who haven't gotten into LoTW yet.

Because it's a two step process and you get some info via postcard, it's easy to forget where you are in the process and what you've done so far.  I kept and still keep a kind of log - a Word file of information on LoTW in my ham logs / LoTW directory.  I tell what I did when, what passwords I received, success or failure, etc.

I also keep a log of what I've uploaded and when, not the actual QSOs, but the date blocks or specific contests.  For me, it's typically something from N1MM after a contest or for regular QSOs it's from HRD (previously) or DXKeeper (now).  All of these programs have different means of doing an auto-upload, so I write down exactly how I did it as I don't upload often and I forget how it works.

N1MM doesn't upload, so I have it write the log to an ADIF file and upload that.

I've even done the "one at a time" thing occasionally.  I recently received an email from a guy in Europe who needed Arkansas on 20M to get closer to 5-band WAS.  But the QSO we'd had was about 25 years ago and only existed in my paper log.  I opened the little "one at a time" LoTW utility and typed in the info, electronically "signed" the one QSO log, and uploaded it.

That recent email exchange about the long-ago QSO was very interesting.  I took a cell-phone picture of my log and emailed it to him and mentioned that my recently married 27 year old daughter had just taken her first steps back then.  He replied with similar information and a picture of his own log of our QSO.  All the others on that page had only minimal info, but the one with me said "ARKANSAS!!!".  So he had to wait 25 years but finally got his confirmation.

72-

Nick, WA5BDU

On 7/13/2013 1:12 PM, Chris Howard w0ep wrote:

On 7/12/2013 7:58 PM, Roy Crosier wrote:

> I'm not a computer guru but I have never had a software package
> or hardware piece that I couldn't eventually install and get working.
> Never that is, until LoTW.

I hope you are able to get it working.
If you were nearby I would come over and look at it.

Chris